In loving memory of Carleton University student Jon Small, SAMH brought Power to the Purple Day 2015 to Carleton University on February 11th.
The day was packed with activities.
- During the day there was tabling for the engineering society's "February Feel Good Week", so executives and volunteers handed out information and socialized with Do it for Daron representatives from The Royal.
- Later that day, there was a a suicide awareness & prevention event. SAMH executives Marcela and Nicole presented information on suicide, including: myths, warning signs, and how to help a friend techniques. We had two speakers also talk about their experiences.
- Carleton University student, Jayson Pham, shared his experiences with mental health.
- Jon Small's mother, Jennifer Kearney, shared some of her story and offering words of inspiration.
- Following the presentation, outside of Prescott House in Jon's memory, we set up a memorial flower garden in honour of Jon and other loved ones lost to mental health struggles. We shared some laughs, stories and tears together remembering those we loved.
SAMH extends its most heart felt thank you's to everyone who participated in this special day.
Emergency Phone Numbers:
- Youth Services Bureau of Ottawa 24/7 crisis line: 613.260.2360, 1.877.377.7775 (toll free for Eastern Ontario)
- Kids Help Phone Line: 1.800.668.6868
- Ottawa Distress Centre: 613.238.3311
- Health and Counseling Services Carleton University: 613.520.6674 (call to set up a counselling appointment)
- Good2Talk: 1.866.925.5454
- The Royal Ottawa: 613.722.6521